Sunshine

Monday, June 6, 2016

Alphabet Week A-F

We started our Alphabet Summer! I got this idea from Amy from a few summers ago. I have had a lot of fun planning what to do and my boys have loved it. It has been fun to explore new ideas and focus on some different activities each day. My days flow so much better and we are all happier when there is a list of things to do. Tanner looks forward to it and at bedtime reminds me of what the letter will be the next day. 

Monday-A
I made some Applesauce muffins (with carrots and whole wheat flour). Tanner is a very picky eater, but usually does pretty well with breakfast and lunch. Most days we have whole grain pancakes. I tried out these applesauce muffins a few months ago and they were a hit so I have made them a few times since then.  I love that I can add some carrots to them too!  Lincoln eats about anything--although a little picky sometimes at dinner.  This time I peeled the carrots in long strands so they could make some "A's." They had fun with that too! 


Whenever I make little muffins Lincoln always has one in each hand and carries them everywhere. 
He loves mini muffins! 


We explored "Absorption." This was an idea I got off Pinterest. It looked fun and I knew the boys would enjoy sucking up water in a medicine tube (with some help) and squirting in on a paper towel. I don't know how much they got out of "absorption" but it was fun exploration. I kept working with Tanner on how to say "Absorb" which made it even more fun. It was a tricky word!

We made a "Alligator" out of a clothespin. Tanner had fun clipping it to his clothes and other items.  Tanner loves the songs "5 little monkeys sitting in a tree." I got a book from the library so we had fun reading the book along with the Alligator. 


Playing with mom's "Abacus." Tanner liked using the Alligator clip to move it. 


We found a big "Ant" pile in our front yard. I decided I would let boys feed them (not a great idea I know) but they sure were fascinated by it. They fed them a chip, crasin, and a cheese puff. The next day our Ant pile had tripled! Yikes. 





We finished the day with dinner at "Applebees" with a gift card Bryan and Lisa had sent for my birthday. It was a perfect way to end our "A" day. 


Tuesday- Letter B


Today I made Banana Muffins. One of their favorites!


I got some water "Baloons" from the dollar store. They had so much fun with these. It would take me about 10-15 minutes to fill up a bucket and the boys would have popped all of them within within one minute. They would come running up to me and say "more balloons!" I filled up 100 balloons for them that day and they still kept asking for more. I also brought out some plastic rings that Aunt Laura had given them and they had fun throwing the balloons inside the rings too. 




Russell wasn't too happy during this part. 


"Blueberries" for lunch (along with Bread--with cheese--and more muffins)


The boys love eating their food with a toothpick-Another great tip from Aunt Laura. 




"Blowing Bubbles" Usually Tanner blows to hard, but he was finally getting it. 




When I saw Dave drive up I thought it would be fun for the boys to try and get him with some water balloon. They boys were pretty excited about it. Dave thought it was pretty funny and stayed in the car for a bit and then climbed through the passenger side. It was cute to see the boys chase him across the lawn to get him. 


We "hiked" the B (more of a stroll). Tanner was pretty excited to do this all day since we always point out all the letters on the mountains as we drive. The "B" is in a really awkward place off of a road and I didn't want to have the boys hike up the steep rocky hill so we just stood by the road. I am sure when they get older we can do it again. Tanner was excited to see the temple from the "B."






Our Last stop was the "Bountiful" temple.  Tanner and Lincoln always have a fun time by the water.  I love that they enjoy going to the temple. We happened to be there on the last day that the Angel Moroni (who had been struck by lightening) was there. I heard they moved it the following day. 



Whoops. . . I made sure that didn't happen again!


Touching the temple






"I did it mom! I did it!" (one of the most common Lincoln phrases)



We had a "Bubble Bath" while Dave finished setting up the boys new "Bed." Tanner was so excited about getting this new bed. It used to be his cousin Grace's bed and Aunt Laura gave it to us. As Dave was building it Tanner told Lincoln he could have his old bed because he didn't want it any more. He wanted "this" bed. It was so fun to see how excited he was. Thank you Aunt Laura! 


Wednesday--Letter C

Chocolate Milk had to be on the list for letter C.  Often when we went shopping at the store I let the boys share a little bottle of chocolate milk. It is a highlight during grocery shopping (along with the free cookies). They have some mini chocolate milk bottles at Harmons Grocery Store I picked up the day before. I was shocked that Tanner was willing to wait for "Letter C" day to drink it. 


Tanner was in desperate need of a hair "cut." I love his hair, but don't want to buzz it which means it really needs to be styled by someone who knows what they are doing. We love Nicole and this was Tanner's second time getting a hair cut by Nicole. He behaves so well and loves sitting in the big chair and watching himself in the mirror. I tried to see if Lincoln wanted a "cut" do but he didn't want anything to do with the chair or the scissors! 


I have wanted to stop by this famous cookie place in centerville called "Cutler's Cookies." They are famous for their cookie. I thought it would be fun to let the boys pick a cookie after the haircut. They both were excited and picked the pink covered sugar cookie. I picked the double frosted peanut butter cooke which was AMAZING. I saved half for Dave. 



We played with wiggle racer "cars"


Russell enjoyed "chilling" in the shade while the boys played with "chalk."




We all laid down so we could trace our bodies. It was fun! 



Lincoln is getting his new "crab" swim suit wet and ready for summer. 
The boys sure love our home grown strawberries!



"Chicken nuggets" for lunch. A toothpick wins again! 

Thursday--Letter D


We had our routine "dentist" appointments. Tanner was great and loved his chair and sunglasses. Tanner is really into he "Maisy" book series by Lucy Collins. There is one about "Charlie, Maisy, and the Wobbly Tooth" that I picked up from the library that is about them going to the dentist. Tanner was primed and ready to go and did great!


We went to the "duck" pond in Farmington. This is a favorite place for the boys to go and throw rocks. Lincoln always wants to throw the "big" rocks but they are hard to find lately. I finally got a stick and told them we could "dig" for rocks. That wasn't park of the plan but it fit perfectly into our D-day. We were able to dig up some pretty big rocks! 


Russell was also having fun chilling in the stroller! 



Davis High school had just finished school and I think about all of them decided to go to the duck pond to go swimming. If you look closely above you will see one in the tree ready to jump. After observing for a little bit Tanner asked to go get his swimsuit so he could go swimming too. 



I had to make "doughnuts" for "D"-day and the boys loved this!  It was my fist time making them and I was glad they turned out. We even gave away a few platefuls to neighbors.  The next day I learned it was national doughnut day. Oh well, we just celebrated it a day early! 


Friday--Letter E 


We invited Tanner's friend "Eli" over to pay. Tanner was so excited for this! I decided to do water balloons again for them to play with and they once again had a great time!


We were lucky that "Ezra" was able to come over too with Amy and the rest of her family. They had just gotten back from Hawaii and Amy had to come back up to pick up the rest of her kids. They boys had fun eating peanuts and we had a little picnic on the lawn. 


Amy taught Tanner how to throw a grape up and catch it in her mouth. Tanner was pretty fascinated and had to try it for himself. 




Success! 


Two adorable cousins! Both 4 months. 

Saturday- Letter F


We had fun learning how to "flip' pancakes. These are the moments were I wonder why I need a bunch of toys when I have a bunch of utensils! 


We had fun playing with "funnels." I let them scoop in flour and then we moved to water. They loved it and still ask to play with funnels each day. 



The flour game! I can't remember where this game started, but I remember playing it when I was young with my brothers and sisters. I hadn't played it for awhile but it was also a last minute idea that came to mind as they were playing with flour. Basically you scoop flour into measuring cup and pack it down. Next, you tip it over and put a penny on top. You then take turns scrapping on pieces of the flour mound trying not to let the penny fall. Tanner was a little aggressive and quickly took a big piece out so the penny fell. I made him fish it out and I was surprised he did. All he said was  "Thanks yucky!" He kept asking to play though and it was a lot of fun! 




We also played "Go fish." This was a game that Aunt Laura had recently given us. 


We went to the S&S Railroad in West Farmington. It is just a few minutes from our home, and we came here last summer too.  One of Lincoln's favorite books lately is "Freight Train." This train park is just like a "Freight train" so thats were I told them we were going. It is a huge park with train rides and a play area. The train rides do cost, but we got a 20 minute ride so it was worth it. They boys really did enjoy it although the picture shows otherwise. ;) Mom stayed off with Russell to take pictures. 


They loved going through the tunnel. 



We had "fishy" crackers and "fruit snacks" at the park. 


The boys loved playing on this train




An old antique train. This one looked just like the Black Steam Engine from "Freight Train"


Daddy having some fun with Russell. He was giggling so cute. 


There were a lot of red "Cabooses" 


We had a lot of fun exploring some "Freight Trains!" This park is only open the first Saturday of the Month only during June-September so we decided to go before we would forget and it fit perfectly for our "F" day!







No comments:

Post a Comment