Sunshine

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Backyard improvements and Farmington windstorms unimprovements

When we first moved in I was a happy to have a garden, but a little overwhelmed by the size of the garden the previous owners created. They basically ripped out half the lawn and turned it into a garden as pictured. The fence was to kept he chickens out. After a year of dealing with weeds growing out of control, and much more garden than I could ever maintain we decided to too some changes. 

Dave ripped out the fence and we prepared moved the garden box closest to the fence to the other side. That garden box got the most shade by the tree anyway. It tools us quite a bit of time to prepare the soil. There used to be a bunch of wood chips covering the dirt. Dave got to use a rototiller and he enjoyed using some manly tools. He first had to dig the dirt up with a shovel because the dirt was so hard. We shoveled out lots of rocks and all sorts of items buried in the dirt. 


We added about 250 sq feet of sod.  It really opened up the backyard a lot more. We may lay more sod in the future. . but little by little we will see how what will work best for our family. I think the boys will enjoy this a lot more and it really opened the yard up. Some neighbors helped us put the sod in during our "love your neighbor day" in our ward. It has rained the entire past week so it was a perfect time to lay the sod!



When I moved to Farmington, I didn't know about their famous windstorms. It only takes one storm and you quickly learn what you are in for. We have probably have about 3 really bad windstorms since we have been here--including the one this weekend.  It started Saturday around 6 p.m. and continued all day Sunday and is suppose to end Monday at 5 a.m. 

The winds reached 90mph at the peak (in the middle of the night Saturday). Our big tree in the backyard lost a pretty big branch. I love this tree. We also lost two branches on this tree because of heavy snow this past winter. We found another small branch on are deck and another by our shed. 

A piece of our shed roof blew off. 


our door (which really wasn't that great. . but it served it's purpose) to the side of the deck broke off.  


This is what happened to our neighbors patio roof. He said it has been there for 30 years and made it through every storm (even 110 mph winds) I guess it finally gave in. 


I started to sing the song Mr. Wind is a Mischief to Tanner and Lincoln and they have had a lot of fun with it and keep wanting me to sing it.  Amy is the one who is famous for singing it in our family when she was little. 

Our power went out briefly too.  Living up hear has really made me think more about emergency preparedness--just because of these windstorms (which they say happen about 3-5 times a year). We have some great sisters in this ward who are very proactive about it and I am learning a lot from them which has been a great blessing!


No comments:

Post a Comment